Prevention dentistry for healthy Santa Barbara, CA smiles
At Whole Health Dentistry, we believe in the power of preventive dental care to not only help keep your teeth and gums healthy but also promote whole-body wellness. We provide a comprehensive array of preventive dentistry services to our Santa Barbara, CA area patients in our warm and inviting chemical-free office and use the latest methods that have been shown to reduce the chances of developing oral health problems such as cavities and gum disease.
The importance of preventive care
Prevention of dental diseases starts at home with great oral hygiene habits, including brushing at least twice per day and flossing daily. In addition, being mindful of the foods you eat and how you take care of your teeth during daily activities—such as the use of a sports mouthguard or a nightguard if you clench and grind your teeth—can promote a healthier oral environment and reduce your chances of developing cavities, uneven wear and tear, and periodontal disease.
To complement your home care routine, regular dental visits to receive a professional cleaning and thorough check-up are vital for the prevention of dental caries, early detection of potentially life-threatening oral cancer, and removing disease-causing plaque and pathogens. Dr. Copeland’s biocompatible, whole-body approach to dental care can not only give you the best long-term oral health advantage but also help you achieve better overall health and well-being.
Preventive care: what to expect
We treat each patient like the unique individual that they are, which means that each time you visit us at Whole Health Dentistry, we tailor your dental services to your specific needs at that time. The components of a preventive care visit typically include:
- Gentle, thorough dental cleaning where we remove debris from your teeth and use ultrasonic flushing, oxygenating ozone, and remineralizing polish to give you a “clean slate” and give you the healthiest possible oral environment
- A comprehensive examination by Dr. Copeland, using minimal x-rays or other types of imaging as needed to evaluate your current oral health and identify any developing issues at an early stage when they are easiest to treat
- Oral diagnostic photography supplementing radiographs to minimize x-ray exposure.
- Oral cancer screening to detect any potentially cancerous or pre-cancerous lesions
- Patient education where we discuss your current oral health needs, how to take the best care of your teeth at home, and answer any questions you may have
- Evaluation of oral biofilm using the Microscopy and DNA Testing
- Sensitivity challenges to Dental materials or metals
- Cone Beam (3D image reading to look for silent problems in bone and sinuses
- Evaluation of how teeth are working together for their greatest healthy longevity
In addition, we will spend time talking with you about any treatments or therapies that Dr. Copeland recommends, such as the use of a mouth guard to reduce TMJ symptoms you may be having, cosmetic treatments to address any areas of your smile that you would like to improve, and more.